November 8, 2009

Home for Now

One week under my belt. And it feels good. I've got a rhythm down, know where most of the critical items are, feel like I'm doing ok fitting in. (In fact, I must look like I know what I'm doing. I've been approached at least 6 different times about directions! In some cases, I've been able to help.)

My apartment building faces a canal, but I look over the back garden, which gives me trees and green, which I love, and then I get the experience of water when I leave my apartment. It's the best of both worlds, in my opinion.
I wondered how it'd be moving into a furnished apartment. I chose the furnished route because it was incredibly more easy than shipping a good percentage of my stuff overseas, and I really didn't want to worry about that. But the last time I was in a furnished place, it always felt like I was living in someone else's house. Which, essentially I was.

So far, though, my apartment here feels good. I chose it because it matched my tastes, and has a spare room for guests. I'm composing this as I sit in the guest room, actually, as it's getting the brightest sun of the afternoon of the three rooms with windows. And those who know me well know how much I need sunlight. :)

Each day, I'm making new discoveries, whether it's what's in my neighborhood, as I've described below, or nice-to-knows about my apartment (for example, I needed and found some tape in one of the drawers.) It's fun, these little discoveries. I get a rush out of the exploration, of uncovering, of understanding.

No comments: