November 14, 2009

My Bike!

After two weeks living in Amsterdam, I made the leap and bought a bike. So now I can zip to and from work at my own pace (not having to wait for or rush to the tram) and really get the feel for what it's like to be a resident of Amsterdam.

It's a second-hand bike, a Batavus. It's black and grey, with red saddle bags, a bell, and a red chain lock. I chose hand brakes over pedal brakes at the recommendation of the gentleman who sold it to me.


The bike weighs a ton, but it's sturdy. Although pictured here parked outside, I do have indoor storage for it at my apartment and at work, so that should fend off rusting. It should also hopefully ward off theft, but I've been assured I will lose at least one bike to being stolen while I'm here. Until that time, though, I'm looking forward to having this be my new partner in exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment