January 18, 2010

Back on the bike!

After weeks of being essentially forced to ride the tram due to snow, ice, and cold here in Amsterdam, I was able to resume commuting by bike this morning. It was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit when I left and looked to be precipitation-free for most of the day and into the evening, according to the weather report.

Well bundled, I set out along my former bike route, cycling tentatively in case there were still slick patches on the roadway. Thankfully, I encountered none, though a fellow cyclist hit some frost or black ice traveling perpendicular to my path and completely wiped out. In the middle of an intersection no less, but at least the oncoming traffic was stopped. I think he bounced a couple of times and his bike slid away from him. But he picked himself up, righted his bike, and scooted away, almost as if nothing had happened!

I'd really missed the time riding to and from work over the last few weeks. While the tram is a perfectly agreeable means of transportation, the physical aspect of riding for a half hour each way helps me warm up for and cool down from my day. My route is well known enough where I know what intersections I really need to be alert for, and when I can let my mind slip away into thought or daydreaming or problem solving. I arrive at my destination limber, slightly breathless, and energized. It's a feeling I miss when I don't get to do it.

This evening's commute was foggy, with the lightest mist kissing my nose and cheeks as I whisked home. It sounds like it's fully raining outside now; hopefully that will let up before the morning commute, and I can be back on the bike again tomorrow and through the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment