January 4, 2010

Eclectic

This Christmas, I received $80 in iTunes gift cards from various people. That's probably an entire year's or more worth of music for me, and I was excited about the possibility of finding and downloading new and not-so-new music. I spent about 2 hours last night digging through iTunes and making my first purchases.

The process started out slow, and I wasn't sure I'd be downloading more than 3-4 songs during this sitting. However, persistence (and free money) paid off and I ended up with a fun, if eclectic, set of purchases. Here's the recap, in order of downloading, too, so you can see how I meandered from song to song, genre to genre, decade to decade:
  1. That's Just What You Are, Aimee Mann. I saw Aimee Mann in concert this summer, and it was a great evening -- outdoor venue, pleasant weather, good music, good company. A truly memorable experience.
  2. Details in the Fabric, Jason Mraz. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the music I discover by Jason Mraz. Perusing through his albums, I usually come up short on downloads, but from time to time, little ditties like this one find their way into my recommendations lists, and are real winners.
  3. Home, Michael Buble. Guilty pleasure #1 on this list. I love how his voice reminds me of Frank Sinatra or Bobby Darin. Wraps me up with warmth and love.
  4. The Middle, Jimmy Eat World. I absolutely loved this song when it first came out. It's a good anthem when you're feeling slighted or unimportant or not good enough. And it's just plain fun to dance to, anytime.
  5. Snow (Heh Oh), Red Hot Chili Peppers. Not sure why I picked up this song yesterday; it's just so cool.
  6. Amber, 311. A good mellow song that's been on my radar the last year or so.
  7. Put Your Records On, Corinne Bailey Rae. Another fun song, which reminds me of summer. It's hopeful and encouraging: "You're gonna find yourself somewhere, somehow." I know two young girls who I think would enjoy this song, and maybe learn all the lyrics to it.
  8. Gold Digger, Kanye West & Jamie Foxx. Guilty pleasure #2. A good dancin' song. 'Nuff said.
  9. Sweet Jane, Cowboy Junkies. Funky, mellow, and sensual.
  10. Sadeness (Pt. 1), Enigma. Is there a Pt. 2?
  11. Ice Cream, Sarah McLachlan. I have this song on CD, and it's locked up in my storage unit in Massachusetts, so difficult to get to. iTunes recommended the song, and I couldn't pass it up -- it's one of my first, and favorite, Sarah songs.
  12. That I Would Be Good, Alanis Morrisette. From the MTV Unplugged album. While I mostly find Alanis' voice nasally and can take it only in small doses, I love this performance. It gives me goose bumps everytime I listen to it. Opening with raw acoustic guitar, not perfect by any means, voice full of meaning, clear piano coming in later, with strings following and adding depth and flesh to the music. Lyrics that speak to raw wishes and hopes even in the face of flaws.
  13. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, Starship. Guilty pleasure #3. How can you not sing this song at the top of your lungs!?!
How's that for a mixed list? And I still have $64 left...

No comments:

Post a Comment