February 20, 2009

Pivot Questionnaire

One of my secret pleasures is watching "Inside the Actors Studio". Whenever it's on, whoever is the guest, I'll pause my channel surfing to catch at least a segment or two. While the main interviews are well-crafted and insightful, the part I truly love is the last set of 10 questions before James Lipton turns the actor over to the crowd for questions. (As a side note, Will Ferrell's parody of James Liption on SNL is brilliant, in my opinion).

The questions are based on the Pivot Questionnaire, popularized by Bernard Pivot, a French journalist, interviewer, and TV host. There are actually several versions of the list (the Proust versions I have just now discovered, and frankly, think they're much more intriguing).

Each time I watch that part of the show, it makes me wonder how I'd answer the questions. Well, here goes:
  1. What is your favorite word? Mellifluous. It begs to be said slowly and deliberately.
  2. What is your least favorite word? Moist. Ewwww, gives me the shivers even thinking of it.
  3. What turns you on? Sincerity and authenticity.
  4. What turns you off? Jockeying. For power or position, for love or attention, for money or fame, for really anything.
  5. What is your favorite curse word? F**k. I love the look of shock and awe on people's faces the first time they hear me say it. That's priceless.
  6. What sound or noise do you love? A sincere and joy-filled laugh.
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? Honking car horns. Especially at a red light.
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Veterinarian or zoologist
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Tele-salesperson
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "The shock will wear off soon enough. Come sit down. "

1 comment: