February 22, 2009

A Twist on Word Art: Wordle

As I've written before, TechCrunch is one of those sites I rely on to discover new things, technology-related or otherwise. Recently, one of their posts didn't disappoint.

They'd taken the Terms of Service from a number of popular sites (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and more), and run them through an online word cloud generator, Wordle.

The results weren't only technically interesting, they were beautiful, like art work. So I ran my blog through it (several times!) and here are a couple examples.

A friend with whom I shared this first one noted it looks like a fingerprint. Apropos, given the nature of my posts.

The one to the left made think of a movie poster for an indie film or something similar.

I was also intrigued by how the words' position and proximity to one another in each version creates a unique experience of the individual words and themes. Sets a different tone or draws focus to different words or groups of words.

If nothing else, it's an interesting way to distill down some content into its most basic elements, and highlight the most popular words and themes. My fellow writers/bloggers, what do your Wordles look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment